Monday, September 8, 2008

Changing Seasons



I love the changing seasons. When people ask me, "Which season is your favorite?" I never know what to say. I think it is because I don't love a particular season, I just love when it changes. A few months ago I was so ready for summer to come, and now I am so ready for fall and the cool weather, changing leaves, maternity jeans with a huge front panel :), spiced tea and ginger cookies!

The same is so true in my life. I have never been in a season that I wanted to last forever. I have heard some women say, "I wish my kids would stay this age forever." And I have never felt that. I do love the stage Parker is in right now. His developing vocabulary and the things he says just make me laugh, but I don't want him to stay this way forever....I look forward him growing up. I want him to learn how to use the potty chair (desperately), to learn how to put on his own clothes, take his own bath, to learn to obey his parents (oh, wait that is probably a season that will never change). Another season I don't want to stay in forever is pregnancy, and thankfully I can count down the weeks until this season of pregnancy is over (only 19 more to be exact!)

But each season, as soon as it is over I miss it. I look back and say, life goes too fast. So what is the balance? How do I learn to anticipate and love the changing seasons without wishing them away? How do I learn to enjoy the day God has given me without looking ahead at what is to come, or behind at what I miss?

So today I will enjoy Parker peeing in his underwear every 15 minutes and know that this season will change and one day I will look back and say, "I wish he was running around in his cowboy boots and underwear peeing all over the floor." Today I will smile when I want to puke, because I know in 19 short weeks I will miss the feelings of my baby boy kicking me all night long while I am trying to sleep. Today I will praise God for this season, realizing how short it is and how quickly the next will come.

Thank you Lord for your blessings this day, and the changing seasons you bring!

9 comments:

Abby McNair said...

yeah Jess! I am soooo glad you started a blog. O love the pic of superman in those underwear. How hilarious! I love you friend and have enjoyed talking with you more often. Thanks for the prayers and encouragement!

love
ab

Jen Stutzman said...

Awesome!!! I will love staying up on your life. Thank you so much for starting this. I have been praying for you and your pregnancy. Contentment is to find joy each day, not looking back too much or forward.
love you
Jen

Ann said...

This is so great! Living in CT just keeps getting easier! I'm gonna forward your email to Nick so that he can stop having Parker withdrawal. I love you guys so much!

The Olivers said...

Thanks so much Jess for including me in on your blog! From pregnancy to potty training and beyond, the tide of life ebbs and flows. It is funny, in preparing for our new MOPS year that has the theme 'Adventures in Mothering', I have come to realize how amazing each season is. Somehow, no matter what the worst is, you can always look back at it and smile because through that particular season, God has changed us and we move closer to Him. Thanks for sharing--I look forward to seeing you soon!
--Susan

Mike, Amy, Libby, & Emma Landgren said...

Love the blog! Parker is such a cutie! Try not to vomit...it's not fun to clean up. ha!
Are you really having a boy?????
Can we trade kids sometime so I know what it feels like? ha ha

Sara Aadland said...

Jess-
I am so happy to hear from you and see your beautiful little boy..and another on the way! It almost brought me to tears looking at his little face. I am so thankful to see what God has brought you. I don't make it to Hastings much but next time I am in town I will have to stop by.

erinhall said...

Jess - I miss your daily encouragement of the Lord in my life while we were roomies. After you, I was fortunate to have my roommate from pharmacy school step into your spot. Now that Kody and I are married, he relies on me as the leader of our spiritual lives. Your blog gives me even more support and intuition for a more devoted life. I love it and I will read up on your post frequently. MISS YOU! PS: When Kody and I move back to OMAHA, I will babysit for you guys:)

Vontz's said...

Hey there...glad to see that you have finally given in!! I totally agree about the Changing Seasons...that is so ME. Love ya

monica said...

Jess - what a great idea! It will be a blessing to me and all those who read it. I so much wish I could be there to share in these Seasons with you, but I will rejoice with you from Ohio and catch a glimpse of what God is doing back at home. Thank you for your prayers and friendship. See you soon!

Love - Monica