Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No.

No. It is a word I say millions of times everyday. I don't believe that is an exaggeration.

There are millions of toys on our house that are safe for Owen to play with. I don't believe that is an exaggeration.

I have millions of places for Owen to crawl and pull up and walk around that are safe. That IS an exaggeration....but there are MANY places for him to play safely.


So why.....oh, why....does Owen choose to play and crawl and pull up and walk around things that are the most dangerous.?

I lovingly redirect him to the millions of other toys and MANY other places that would be safer and he cries. He wants the one single dangerous thing he can't have....

So in a weak, tired moment, I decide to let Owen have his way....I let him get the dangerous thing or pull up on a cupboard and he slams his fingers in the door....and what does he do?!?!? He comes crawling to me screaming in tears because he got hurt and now it is my job to comfort him.

The scenario is all too familiar....

Instead of focusing on the millions of things I have, I become fixated on the one thing I can't have.

So the Lord lovingly redirects me to one of the MANY wonderful, safe and nice things He has provided and I sit and cry because I can't have or do the ONE thing I want....

Then I fail to realize that God is trying to protect me and is redirecting me out of love and genuine concern for my well-being...and out of rebellion I do, or go and get, the one thing He says "No" to.

Then I get hurt and scream and cry and crawl back to the Lord and it is His job to comfort me.

Oh, Lord....forgive me.....

"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him."

Psalm 103:8-13

2 comments:

Nicole said...

What a great analogy, Jess! I all too often can relate. I love how kids, or in my case, a ragdoll kitty:) can teach us so much! Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Nicole

Kylie said...

Thanks for sharing! I love this. So very true.